Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Bean Trees

My all-time favorite book is The Poisonwood Bible. Many years ago my father read it and after he had tossed it aside I picked it up. I won't go into the details except to say that it's pretty much the Best. Book. Ever. If you don't agree, well, sorry. You're wrong. That's all there is to it. I've been through about three copies and my current copy is looking a little worse for the wear.

ANYWAY, the point is, about the time that I finished my first reading of TPB I bought another book by the same author, Barbara Kingsolver. I though, surely I will love this book as much as TPB.

Not exactly. The book, called The Bean Trees, stayed on various shelves in my house, unread. It traveled from house to house and for some reason I was reluctant to just put it away or sell it or give it to charity. Honestly, I should have given up on it but I couldn't. Every time I would start to read it, it would fail to interest me. I kept it around for the same reason I keep Skinny and Fat Jeans and shoes that need to be fixed and old pieces of wrapping paper and ribbon. "Maybe someday I will need it."

It's funny how characters in a book can change depending on your circumstances. Two days ago I picked up The Bean Trees for about the millionth time and for some reason it spoke to me. Maybe I am old enough to be friends with the women in this book now. Maybe we have more in common. The point is, I finished it. I read it cover to cover. It only took me five years.

0 comments: