Thursday, August 5, 2004

Callie and I drove to Columbia last night for church. It was the first time i've been on the highway for longer than ten mintues since I crashed, and a little nerve wracking. We looked for the place where we knocked down all the trees and you can still see it (just past mile marker 138 on I26 W for anyone who cares). Anyway, seeing it and being with my sister made me think about how thankful I am that we made it through. Everyone I know has been telling me that there's a reason why no one was hurt (its the bible belt and summerville to boot, so theyre really telling me that I should find jesus and convert everyone I see now but thats besides the point). Anyway, this is shaping up to be a sappy entry, so i'll spare you cynical bastards and bitches out there the pain.
<lj-cut text="sappiness by kate fenwick, read it you jerks, it doesn't happen too often...">ANYWAY, now that i've gone through the trouble of doing the lj cut I don't feel sappy anymore. What I was gonna say was that driving back from Columbia, I really felt alive. I really took a step back realized how short life is, and how quickly it can be over. Two weeks ago, I could have been living out my last week on this earth, and I didn't even know it. Did I do anything special that week? Did I do something that scared me? Did I tell people how much they meant to me? Now that I think about it, I didn't do any of those things. I probably griped about being bored, and yelled at my siblings, and made my mom and dad upset. I probably told them a million times that I was ready to move out and go back to school. You always think that you're going to have more time to do these things, that when it's finally your time to go, you'll have lived a full and satisfying life. It's the curse of being young, I think. There's always more time.
Last night we were safe and happy. We were singing and cracking each other up, as usual. We were unharmed and virtually unaffected. But the truth is, I don't think any of us has ever been in that much danger. No one <i>really</i> grasps how close it was, how perfect the circumstances were. I think as young people, we really take advantage of our security, of our health and seemingly indestructable bodies. My accident was not a serious accident, as bodily injury goes. The serious thing about the accident is that it was out of my control. It could happen again, and again, I would have no time to prepare for it. The likelihood of our being unharmed if the same accident happened again is almost nil. I was looking online at pictures of cars that hit trees at the same speed that I hit, and it is scary how awful it is.

0 comments: